Demolishing a building

What you need to do

When intending to demolish a building in excess of 49.5 cubic metres, official notice must be given to building control to comply with the requirements of section 80 of the Building Act 1984. This is usually a minimum of six weeks prior to the intended start date. You will be required to fill out a Section 80 demolition notice form.

In order for us to process your application you must also provide a 1:1250 location plan clearly indicating the buildings to be demolished. It must also show all adjacent properties and existing drainage systems to be sealed, together with a copy of the demolition contractor's method statement indicating safe methods of demolition.

Within six weeks of receiving this completed application, we will issue a demolition notice setting out a number of conditions that have to be complied with during the demolition works necessary to maintain public safety and public amenity.

Building control may also consult with the environmental health and planning departments. Where necessary we may also consult Leicestershire County Council Highways, Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service and Leicestershire Constabulary prior to the issuing of a demolition notice.

You must also notify all service providers such as gas, electric and water by sending them a copy of the notification form and location plan. This is so they can make arrangements with you for their services to be safely disconnected.

Last updated: 11/04/2014 14:35 

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

To contact us about a service, please use our online contact form.