Council house void process
Empty council properties are called ‘voids’. An average of 5 properties a week become empty and are handed to the Repairs Team to inspect for any maintenance works required before they are re-let. The Repairs Team will visit each property and arrange for any repair works needed to bring them up to a 'minimum lettable standard' to be carried out by the In-House Team or one of our other contractors. The following is a list of standards which we work to:
- The property will be re-let in a good and clean condition
- The property will be secure
- Free from rubbish inside and out
- Gas and electrical systems will be inspected and work undertaken to ensure that they are in a safe condition
- The kitchens and bathrooms will be in a workable, clean condition
- The property will be free from infestation and adequately ventilated
The council will only carry out decorating to properties in sheltered housing schemes, however, for general needs properties, B & Q vouchers may be awarded to incoming tenants towards the cost of their own decorating.
We are currently reviewing the way we handle our void properties to ensure the most cost effective and efficient processes are used.
Want to know about the council's void process? For more information download Void Process.
Last updated: 24/10/2017 12:03