Spotted and abandoned vehicle? Report an abandoned vehicle following the link on this page.
The Department of the Environment Farming and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) offer no legal definition of abandonment. The following characteristics are generally common to assist local authority officers in making a decision on 'abandonment':
- Untaxed vehicle
- No current vehicle keeper on the DVLA records
- Vehicle has been stationary for a period of time
- Vehicle is significantly damaged or run-down
- Vehicle has been set on fire
- One or both number plates are missing
- Vehicle contains waste/rubbish
The Neighbourhood Warden Team at the Borough Council will investigate and deal with vehicles abandoned on the highway according to the DEFRA guidelines. If a vehicle is removed then it will be destroyed by an approved contractor on behalf of Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council.
We can remove abandoned vehicles on private land with the consent of the landowner.