Taxi and private hire vehicles - Equality Act 2010
Changes to the law
The new requirements of the Equality Act 2010 came into force on 6 April 2017 and there are sections within it which are aimed directly at hackney carriage (taxi) and private hire drivers and vehicles. It is now a criminal offence for drivers of taxis and private hire vehicles to refuse to carry passengers in wheelchairs or with guide or assistance dogs.
Sections 160 to 173 of the Equality Act 2010 can be found at legislation.gov.uk
Under Section 165 of the Act, a driver is required to undertake the following duties:
- To carry a passenger while they are in a wheelchair
- To not make an additional charge for doing so
- If the passenger chooses to sit in a passenger seat, to carry the wheelchair
- To take such steps that are necessary to ensure that the passenger is carried in safety and reasonable comfort
- To give the passenger such mobility assistance as is reasonably required
Guide or assistance dogs
Guide dogs are working dogs not pets, their owners rely on them for both independence and mobility. The Equality Act 2010 places a duty on taxi and private hire drivers to carry guide dogs and other assistance dogs at no extra cost.
Unless they have a medical exemption certificate, taxi and private hire drivers must:
- Carry the assistance dog in their vehicle and allow it to remain with its owner
- Not charge extra for carrying an assistance dog in their vehicle
Private hire companies must not refuse a booking or refuse to carry out a booking due to someone having an assistance dog with them.
Drivers can apply to us for an exemption (certificate) from the duties to assist passengers in wheelchairs or with guide dogs, either on medical grounds or because their physical condition makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for them to comply with the duties. For more information contact Licensing
List of wheelchair accessible vehicles
Under Section 167 of the Equality Act 2010, we have to provide a list of wheelchair accessible vehicles licensed by us.
- Plate 146, M C Taxis: Fiat Doblo, BF59 FXX
- Plate 181, A to Z Taxis: Fiat Doblo, YY04 PXC
- Plate 55, M Hafeez Taxis: Fiat Doblo, PE58 YCP
- Plate 302, Hinckley Taxis: Peugeot E7, SA58 VKN
- Plate 129, Burbage Airport Taxis: SsangYong Turismo, RU55 KEW
Last updated: 24/08/2017 13:43