Hinckley town twinning
Our twin town in Germany
Herford is a city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, located in the lowlands between the mountain chains of the Wiehengebirge and the Teutoburg Forest. It is the capital of the district of Herford and has a population of around 65,000.
The town is made up largely of restored medieval buildings but also has a modern museum, the Marta Museum, designed by the American architect Frank Gehry.
The Stadttheater (Municipal theatre) provides seats for 706 viewers and it is served by visiting theatre companies.
Herford hosts a variety of events throughout the year:
- Easter Fair around Easter (Oster-Kirmes)
- Jazz Festival May - performances of different jazz artists in a couple of bars
- Organ Summer
- Visions fair June
- Summer Stage Summer (Sommerbühne) - concerts at the square between city hall and market hall
- Hoekerfest August - municipal festival with plenty of events in the city centre
- City fair October - in the city centre
- Herbstzeitlos (Autumnally timeless) Autumn - exhibition at the former depot site
- Wine festival Autumn - at Gänsemarkt
- Christmas lights December - municipal Christmas fair (Weihnachtsmarkt)
There is an active town twinning organisation called the Hinckley Freunde in Herford and a corresponding group in Hinckley.
To contact the local group, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Jeff Chantrell, Chairman of the Hinckley Town Twinning Group on 01530 230222.
Last updated: 18/03/2013 15:26