Designated Public Place Orders

Information about Designated Public Place Orders (DPPOs)

On Tuesday 23 June 2009, Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council, with support from Leicestershire Constabulary agreed to adopt a Designated Public Place Order (DPPO) under Section 13 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 and The Local Government (Alcohol Consumption in Designated Public Places) Regulations 2007.

What is a DPPO?

Designated Public Places Orders (DPPOs) help local authorities to deal with the problems of alcohol related anti-social behaviour in public places. This order is not a total ban on drinking alcohol in public places. It just makes it an offence to carry on drinking alcohol when asked to stop by a constable or authorised officer. This allows them to deal with people who are behaving antisocially as a result of drinking alcohol.

What does the introduction of the DPPO actually mean?

A Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) or police officer will have the power to ask a person to stop drinking alcohol in a public place if in his/her opinion:

  • They are creating disorder or behaving in an anti-social manner when drinking or under the influence of alcohol
  • They are likely to behave in an anti-social or disorderly way when drinking or under the influence of alcohol

Is it a ban on drinking alcohol? No. A drinker's behaviour will be the consideration in any action by enforcement officers. It is not intended to stop an individual drinking sensibly. For example, if a person is drinking alcohol sensibly, for instance in a park with a picnic or outside a licensed premises, they will not be affected.

What are the offences relating to a DPPO?

It is not an offence to consume alcohol within a designated area. However, failure to comply with an enforcement officer's requests to stop drinking and surrender alcohol without reasonable excuse is an offence. Penalties include:

  • A penalty notice for disorder of £50
  • Arrest and prosecution for a level 2 fine (max £500)
  • Bail conditions can stop the individual from drinking in public

Last updated: 14/01/2011 14:16

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

To contact us about a service, please use our online contact form.