Other ways to get rid of items
Consider if items can be reused
Before you take your unwanted items to the tip (recycling & household waste sites), please consider if the item could be reused.
There are several charitable organisations which will collect good quality items. The items are then reused in this area to those who are in need. Reuse projects in Leicestershire include:
- Hinckley Work-Link is a recycling charity. They will collect quality furniture for reuse to families on low income. They can be contacted on 01455 636506
- Mind Furniture in Hinckley town centre. To donate your unwanted furniture telephone them on 01455 633490 or call in a 72/74 Castle Street, Hinckley LE10 1DA to arrange a free collection. They are open Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm, Saturday 8.30am until 5pm and Sunday 10am until 3pm.
- SOFA (Suppliers of Furniture & Appliances) is a recycling project based in Leicester and will collect suitable household furniture in the Ratby and Groby area. For further details telephone 01509 262557
- REACT (Rural Enterprise, Advice and Care Team Furniture Project) also collected good quality furniture for re-use and they cover the Markfield/Bagworth and Market Bosworth area. For further information telephone 01530 512454 / 510515
- Baby Gear is based in Leicester. For further information telephone 0116 2516415
Full details are also available on the Leicestershire Waste Partnership website
Act local, think global. All around the borough there are charity shops and local organisations that will benefit from your second hand items. Suggestions are:
- Bed linen (sheets and pillowcases for example) are always welcome at charity shops. It is better not to reuse duvets, but you may know of a pet owner who will be able to make use of these
- Bric-a-brac is always welcome at charity shops, jumble sales or local fund raising events
- Charity Shops - the Yellow Pages will give you a comprehensive list of the shops in your area
- Use the Leicestershire 'freeuseit' website - use this site to give away your unwanted items or find a hidden treasure
Last updated: 10/04/2014 10:12