Pet shop licence
To run a business selling pet animals, you need a licence from your local council. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
As an applicant for a pet shop licence, you must not be disqualified by a court of law from running a pet shop business. You must also ensure that:
- Animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- Adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- Any mammals will not be sold when they are too young
- Steps will be taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- Adequate fire and emergency provisions will be in place