Universal credit

What is universal credit?

The full service of Universal credit has gone live for the Hinckley and Bosworth area, which means that if you apply for any of the following benefits you will now need to apply for Universal credit:

  • Jobseekers allowance (income based)
  • Income related employment and support allowance
  • Income support
  • Child tax credit
  • Working tax credit
  • Housing benefit for those of working age

Universal credit is administered by the Department for Works and Pensions. There are a couple of postcodes that are not covered by the full service of Universal credit and they are CV13 6 and CV9 3. Anyone from these post code areas will still claim the above benefits either from the Department for Works and Pensions or the Local Authority as normal. They will go onto the full service of Universal credit when Atherstone rolls out however there isn't a date yet for this.

Universal credit is managed online, this means that you can make a claim online for universal credit (GOV.UK) and then once it is awarded you can check on your payments and updates through your online account.

There are no limits to the amount of hours you can work each week if you receive universal credit. Your payment will gradually reduce as you earn more money. You won't lose all your benefits at once if you're on a low income.

More about universal credit (GOV.UK)

Last updated: 16/03/2017 12:00

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

To contact us about a service, please use our online contact form.