Demolishing a building

What you need to do

Logo: Local Authority Building Control

When intending to demolish a building in excess of 49.5 cubic metres, official notice must be given to building control to comply with the requirements of section 80 of the Building Act 1984. This is usually a minimum of six weeks prior to the intended start date. You will be required to fill out a Section 80 demolition notice form.

In order for us to process your application, you must also provide a 1:1250 location plan clearly indicating the building(s) to be demolished. It must also show all adjacent properties and existing drainage systems to be sealed.

Within six weeks of receiving this completed application, we will issue a counter notice setting out a number of conditions that have to be complied with during the demolition works necessary to maintain public safety and public amenity.

Building control may also consult with other council services (for example, Environmental Health) and statutory bodies (for example, Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service) prior to us issuing a counter notice.

You must also notify all service providers such as gas, electric and water by sending them a copy of the notification form and location plan. This is so they can make arrangements with you for their services to be safely disconnected.

Last updated: ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎14‎:‎27‎