Housing benefit and council tax support during coronavirus pandemic

Other help and advice

  • Council tax flexibility
    Information about flexible payment options around how and when you pay your council tax bill
  • Discretionary housing payments
    If you are getting housing benefit or the housing element of universal credit, you may be able to get extra help if you're struggling to pay the rest of the rent yourself
  • Council tax discretionary discount fund
    If you are getting council tax support but still have problems meeting your council tax payments, you may be able to get extra help

Get advice if you are affected by coronavirus:

  • Universal credit: Most working age people will need to claim universal credit rather than housing benefit to get help with their rent. The government has announced that the standard allowance in universal credit will be increased by £1,000 a year
  • Entitled to (entitledto.co.uk): Advice about what help is available from benefits if you are affected by coronavirus, including an online benefits calculator
  • Shelter (shelter.org.uk): Advice on your rights and the latest legislation, including information about social and private renters being protected from eviction, if affected by coronavirus
  • Citizens Advice: Check what to do if coronavirus affects your work, benefits or travel.

Last updated: ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2020‎ ‎17‎:‎10‎