There have been changes to services due to the coronavirus pandemic. Please contact us if you require assistance. Get the latest service information, government news and business support and advice.Coronavirus: information, advice and FAQs
Which students can claim housing benefit and council tax support?
The following students can claim housing benefit and council tax support:
- All students who are receiving income support or income-based jobseekers allowance
- Students who are on a part-time course
- Students who are under 21 where the course is not higher education* who began their course, were enrolled or accepted on the course before they turned 19
- Students who are under 20 where they began their course, were enrolled or accepted on the course before they turned 19
- A student who has attained pension age or their partner has attained pension age
- Student couples or lone parents who are on a full-time course and are responsible for a child or young person
- Single students who are responsible for a foster child who was placed with them by a local authority or voluntary organisation
- Students who are eligible for a disability premium, for example, students who are receiving disability living allowance, personal independence payment, long term incapacity benefit or registered blind
- Students who are eligible for a disability premium but are disqualified from incapacity benefit
- Students who are treated as incapable of work for 28 weeks or more
- Students who are treated as having limited capability for work for 28 weeks or more
- Students who are receiving a UK grant which includes an allowance for deafness
- Students who cannot receive a grant or student loan due to an illness or they were providing care for another person. (Please note that they would only be eligible for benefit from the date that their illness ceased or they stopped providing care for someone else until the day before they resumed their student course and they could only claim up to the maximum of a year)
*Higher education means a first degree, post-graduate and higher degree course, a teacher training course, a course for training youth and community workers, a course for BTEC/SVEC Higher National Diploma (HND) or Higher National certificate (HNC) or a Diploma in Management Studies.
If a couple claims housing benefit and council tax support, they will not be eligible for help unless either or both of them fall into one or more of the above categories. If a couple are both students but only one of the couple is in one of the above categories, the eligible student should make a claim. If one of the couple is a student and the other is not, then usually the non-student should make the claim for help towards their rent and council tax. However, when we do the assessment we will look at the income, capital and personal circumstances of both people.
If you are a student and you are unsure whether you can claim housing benefit and council tax support, please contact the Benefits Section using the contact form below.
Last updated: 04/03/2020 13:55