What evidence of identity do I need to provide?
We work to standards set by the government, which state that we must see original documentary evidence of your and your partner's identity and national insurance numbers.
We also require original documentary evidence of residency at the address, your income, savings, capital and your household's income and savings.
During the coronavirus pandemic we will accept photocopied, scanned or photographed documents rather than original documents to support your claim at this time. If you can't copy your documents, please let us know. Please send your supporting evidence to the Benefits Section at the address below or complete our contact form
When we receive your application form, we will contact you with a list of the information you will need to provide and will then confirm this in writing. Any document that we receive will be sent back to you first class on the day we receive it. If you do not want to send documents through the post, you can bring them into the offices to be photocopied and handed back to you. We do not recommend that you send your valuable documents through the post. Currently we are not open to the public for you to bring in your documents, therefore please send in photocopied, scammed or photographed documents.
Acceptable proof of identity
- Bank statements dated within four weeks of your claim
- Driving licence
- Birth/marriage certificate
- Medical card
- Utility bill paid within the last quarter
- Valid passport
- Identity card issued by EEC member state
- Divorce/annulment papers
- Life assurance/insurance policies
- National insurance card
- Home Office standard acknowledgement letter (Sal 1 or 2)
- UK residence permit
- Letter from solicitor/social worker/probation officer/Inland Revenue
- Certificate of employment in HM Forces/Merchant Navy
- Benefit payment book/letter dated within four weeks of your claim
To find out more about verification of the documents we ask you to provide, please download the housing benefit and council tax support verification policy below.
Last updated: 29/07/2020 14:48