Coronavirus FAQs


Can I still visit the Hinckley Hub and Atkins Building?

The Hinckley Hub is open for emergencies only.  If you have, or need a pre-arranged appointment or an emergency please call 01455 238141. If you have an appointment with Citizens Advice, please call 0300 330 1025. Our 24-hour payment line is 01455 619617

Please use this website for information on services available online, and the Coronavirus page has the latest information.
The Atkins Building’s registrar service is open by appointment only until further notice. The Atkins Gallery is currently closed to the public.
For people who are visiting our premises, please make sure your hands are clean. If you are feeling unwell or if anyone in your household is self-isolating, then please don’t visit us in person.

Are council events still going ahead this year?

No, events for 2021 have been scheduled in line with government coronavirus guidelines. When it is possible to promote events they will be promoted on our social media pages or can be viewed on our events calendar. 
View our events
Sign up for email alerts about council events

Are council meetings still taking place?

All meetings are taking place remotely. Please see the calendar of council meetings for the most up to date information.

Is my local Community House still open?
In line with current government advice, Barwell, Earl Shilton and Gwendoline Community Houses have cancelled all group activities until further notice.  However, the Community House Team is still available to provide support, advice, signposting and food vouchers. Please call 01455 255942/941 for more information.

I run pub/restaurant/café and I need to offer a delivery service. What should I do?
Planning rules are being relaxed to allow restaurants, cafes and pubs to run as takeaways for up to 12 months. If you wish to do this, you will need to notify our planning team with your proposed start and end dates for new use. Please contact planning. Further information: Permission for pubs and restaurants to operate as takeaways (GOV.UK)

I want to help people who are self-isolating, who should I contact?

We would recommend you register your interest with the local Voluntary and Community Sector Partnership. Visit Next Generation ( who are co-ordinating with registered charities already working in this area. Simply select ‘volunteering’ then scroll to the bottom to complete the online form. Alternatively telephone 01455 632984

Is Hinckley Leisure Centre open as usual?

Hinckley Leisure Centre is currently closed in line with national lockdown restrictions. Please visit Hinckley Leisure Centre ( for up to date information. Hinckley Leisure Centre is operated by Places Leisure on behalf of the Borough Council.

Are parks still open?

All parks and open spaces maintained by Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council are open in line with government guidelines. Playgrounds are open; please follow individual play area guidance and see posters at each site. Skate parks and other outdoor sports facilities are closed including outdoor gyms, ball courts and tennis courts. Follow national guidelines restrictions and follow social distancing guidelines. If you are showing coronavirus symptoms, or if you or any of your household is self-isolating, you should stay at home. Please remember to take your litter home with you.

Are libraries open as usual?

Hinckley and Earl Shilton libraries are closed. They are still offering a Click and Collect service ( and library members who do not have computer access at home or are looking for work will be able to book a computer to use. This will be kept under review, in line with infection rates in the county. You can also visit the digital library service ( and access thousands of books, audiobooks, magazines and newspapers on your phone, tablet or computer. If you are not already a member, it’s quick and easy to join. All loans will be extended until Monday 22 February and no overdue charges will be applied during this period. 

What support is there for older people?

Age UK Leicester Shire & Rutland ( has launched a dedicated Coronavirus Helpline 0116 299 2239, open Monday to  Friday 9am to 5pm to support the most at risk in our communities, to help deliver practical and emotional support to local older people. Through this service they aim to support older people by providing a range of support services which may include telephone befriending, shopping, collecting prescriptions and, where appropriate, visiting people in their own homes but following all the government guidance relating to the virus. Anyone offering volunteer support can also apply their website or call 0116 299 2233 for more information. The Silver Line ( also offers a free, 24 hour confidential helpline for older people 0800 4 70 80 90. We appreciate that many older people may not be on the internet or have access to social media, but please share or pass on the details: maybe these services could be of assistance to an individual or family during this difficult time.

Is work going to continue on my house?

Due to the national restrictions we are only undertaking essential and emergency repairs to council-owned properties at this time. Any non-essential works will be rescheduled.

Last updated: 05/01/2021 14:33