Debt, financial support and scams
What support is available?
If you owe money and are struggling to pay it back, there are actions you can take.
To start, make a list of your debts and write down the details of each. If you are feeling unsure about how to deal with the debts, contact any of the following organisations for advice and support:
- Citizens Advice - call 0808 2787854 (Monday to Friday from 9am to 4.30pm)
- National Debtline (nationaldebtline.org) - charity which offers free and independent debt advice online and over the phone by calling 0808 8084000
- Step change (stepchange.org) – free debt advice and money guidance online
Money saving tips
The following financial support may be available to you:
- Council tax energy rebate – from 1 April most households in council tax bands A and D qualified for a payment of £150
- Council tax exemptions – are you eligible for Council tax discounts or any exemptions? Please visit council tax discounts and exemptions for more information
- Household support fund – the household support fund is administered by Leicestershire County Council and is designed to support residents who are most in need (currently ends 30 September). Support includes help with food and energy costs
- Energy bill support – households in England will receive a £400 discount to help with the rising cost of energy bills from October 2022
- Cost of living payments – you may be able to get a payment to help with the rise in the cost of living. All pensioner households will also receive a £300 payment alongside this year’s winter fuel payment. Further information can be found at cost of living payment (GOV.UK) and disability cost of living payment (GOV.UK)
Scams are on the rise and scammers will find different ways to get hold of your personal information or bank details. If you think you have been scammed or want to report a scam, contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040. For more information on scams, please visit protect yourself against scams
Last updated 27/09/2022 12:33:55