Recycling and household waste sites

Applying for a permit

Do you need a permit?

Users of the recycling and household wastes site ( will require a permit (which is free of charge) if they are using any sort of van, or a trailer over a certain size. Some vehicles that have side facing seats, an additional area for the carriage of goods, or their seats removed, may also require a permit.

You can apply for permits online ( or by post from Leicestershire County Council.

The permit system is to ensure that the sites are used for domestic waste and not for trade waste.

Regular users of the sites can apply for long term permits which are then easily renewed annually.

Disposal of chemicals

Chemical permits are available for small amounts of household chemicals to be taken to Labwaste in Hinckley and are valid for eight days. No petrol, diesel, anti-freeze and brake fluid is accepted. Examples of acceptable waste chemicals include:

  • Acids
  • Garden chemicals (including creosote and weed killer)
  • General household chemicals
  • Mercury
  • Oven cleaner
  • Paraffin
  • Thinners/white spirit

Chemical permits are sent out in the first class post only and unfortunately cannot be collected from the libraries. The address for Labwaste is Unit 23, Jacknell Road, Hinckley, Leicestershire, LE10 3BS and the opening hours at the site are 9am until 4:30pm Monday to Friday.  

For more information, please visit the waste permits (

Further information

For the latest updates from Leicestershire County Council, including any changes to services during the pandemic, visit Coronavirus - council updates (

Last updated: 22/11/2022 08:12