Help and support for council tax and benefits

Help and support available

If you have been financially affected by COVID-19 and need support with paying your rent and/or council tax, please use the links in this page.

Use the links to make a claim or report a change in your circumstances.

Do not delay in making your claim or reporting a change as any financial support may not be backdated. Don’t delay – claim today

Logo: Direct Debit

Council tax instalments

More than 75% of people pay their council tax bills by Direct Debit

If you are not paying by Direct Debit and would like to change your instalment plan and set up a Direct Debit at the same time, please sign up today: Manage your council tax, benefits or business rates account

Creating a new payment arrangement

To do this you need to set up an online council tax account. Registering for this is easy and will allow you to view your council tax details, request a payment arrangement, search for a council tax band, pay your council tax and sign up for direct debit.

Please note that when setting up a payment arrangement via this method, all payments must be received within this financial year.

More information on this: Manage your council tax, benefits or business rates account

Council tax support

Make a claim for council tax reduction if you are on a low income or your income has reduced and you have less than £16,000 in capital: how to claim council tax support

If you are working age and in receipt of council tax reduction, the household will be eligible for an additional grant of up to £150 to help towards your council tax bill.

The payment forms part of a new government fund aimed at helping vulnerable households during the COVID-19 outbreak. Payments will be allocated to your account automatically if you are eligible. Please do not contact us; we will automatically rebill you once this grant has been applied.

Help with paying your rent

Most working age people should claim help with rent costs through universal credit.

However, if you are pension age or live in supported or temporary accommodation you should claim housing benefit

Reporting change in in circumstances council tax support and housing benefit

If you are in receipt of either council tax reduction/support and/or housing benefit, complete our change of circumstance form to let us know about changes to your income