Food safety regulations
Enforcing food safety legislation
The Commercial team in Environmental Health has responsibility for enforcing food safety legislation in relation to some 900 food premises in the district. Food premises range from large-scale meat product premises to newsagents and sweet shops.
The Food Safety Act 1990 seeks to ensure that food businesses produce and sell food and drink that is safe to consume.
The Commercial team carries out its work by:
- Routine food hygiene inspections
- Food sampling
- Investigating complaints relating to food and food premises
- Investigation of infectious diseases, including food related illnesses
- Responding to food alerts and other food safety incidents notified by the Food Standards Agency
- Giving advice to food businesses and the public
- Promoting food- safety
To check a restaurant rating in your area please visit the Food Standards Agency
Last updated: 12/01/2017 11:12