Accessibility statement for Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council
This accessibility statement applies to content published on https://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk
This website is run by Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change fonts, colours, contrast levels
- Listen to the website – we use Texthelp’s ReachDeck to enable you to listen to the website. There is a link in the top right of every page
- Jump to content: there is a skip link in the top right of every page
- Select a language to get the page translated using Google’s translation service. (Please note, this is a machine-based translation service, so we can't guarantee the accuracy or the sense of any given translation)
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Read captions in videos we publish on YouTube
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet (abilitynet.org.uk) offers advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website aren’t fully accessible. Some downloadable documents (PDF/Word documents) aren’t fully accessible to screen reader software.
You can see a full list of any issues we currently know about in the non-accessible section of this statement.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information published in this website in a different format, such as text format, large print, audio recording or braille, please contact Customer Services: Contact us to get an alternative format
We aim to reply to you within three working days.
Alternatively, please phone 01455 238141
In our location page, you can get directions in a textual format by following the link to Google Maps.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems that aren’t listed on this page or think we’re not meeting the requirements of the accessibility regulations, please complete our online form to let us know:
Alternatively, phone: 01455 255914
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) (equalityadvisoryservice.com)
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
We provide a text relay service for people who are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment. Please call 18001 01455 238141. Alternatively, you can download an app provided by Relay UK (relayuk.bt.com)
Customer Services in our reception area has audio induction loops and British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters.
Find out how to contact us
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 (w3.org) AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
We endeavour to make our PDFs and Word documents published on the website accessible. However, there may be some documents which aren’t fully accessible. We publish all essential service information in an accessible web page and provide contact details for alternative versions.
Some of our planning policy consultation responses from third parties, which are published on the website for a limited period of time, may not be fully accessible.
Due to a temporary technical issue with our agendas, minutes and meetings (Modern.Gov), some of our committee documents may not be fully accessible.
Some PDF/Word documents may not meet the following WCAG 2.1 success criteria:
- Success Criterion 1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence (Level A)
- Success Criterion 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum) (Level AA)
- Success Criterion 1.4.10 Reflow (Level AA)
We are continually improving the accessibility of documents on our website.
Non-accessible content - third party applications
We require that any new third party systems we commission for the website are Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 AA compliant. However, third party applications are partly or wholly out of our control and so may not conform to the same levels of accessibility as the rest of the website.
We use Silktide (silktide.com) to monitor and report on a sample of pages (typically six) from each third party application, to identify key issues. We also carry out manual testing. We ask suppliers to fix accessibility issues which arise.
Third party applications:
- Capita online payments
- Capita Connect – Council tax, benefits and business rates accounts: Capita Connect accessibility issues
- Granicus - AchieveForms and my account: Granicus accessibility issues
- Idox - Planning, building control and licensing online – view and comment on applications: Idox accessibility issues
- Northgate - associated planning documents: Northgate accessibility issues
- iTrent – Apply for a council job: iTrent accessibility issues
- Jigsaw - Finding a home: Jigsaw accessibility issues
- Modern.Gov - council meetings, agendas and minutes: Modern.Gov accessibility issues
- Orchard – My housing account: Orchard accessibility issues
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
If you find an issue that we have yet to identify, please contact us using one of the options described in the 'Reporting accessibility problems with this website' section of this statement.
Please contact us if you require this information in an alternative format.
At this time, we have not made any disproportionate burden claims.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
Online maps, for example maps published in my area: we publish textual equivalents of information relating to services and facilities.
PDFs and other downloadable documents published before 23 September 2018
The accessibility regulations (legislation.gov.uk) don’t require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
Whenever we use live video streams, they don’t include captions. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.4 (captions - live). We don’t plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations (legislation.gov.uk)
Social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
If you have difficulty accessing our social media platforms, please contact us
How we tested this website
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
- We are replacing PDF/Word documents with web pages and with online forms
- We regularly monitor the accessibility of the website
- We carry out website user testing at least four times a year
Preparation of this accessibility statement
- This statement was prepared on 24 September 2018. It was last reviewed on 27 April 2022
- This website is tested every week. The testing is carried out by automated software, provided by Silktide: View our accessibility latest report (silktide.com)
Signed off by:
Bill Cullen, Chief Executive, Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council
Last updated: 19/7/2022 17:10