The facility to check your council tax and benefits accounts online will be unavailable until Monday 25 February. Sorry for any inconvenience.
We are committed to making our website accessible
Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council is committed to making our website accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of disability, capability or technology, including users accessing our website with new technologies such as smartphones.
Our website currently meets level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0, guidelines which aim to make content accessible to a wider range of people with disabilities, and generally make web content more usable for everyone.
Our website includes the following features to help you access our information:
- Change fonts and colours
- Listen to the website – we use BrowseAloud to enable you to listen to the website. There is a link in the top right of every page
- Skip links – there is a jump to content link in the top right of every page
- Video captions – we include captions in videos we publish on YouTube
- Google's translation service: select a language to get the page translated. (Please note, this is a machine-based translation service, so we can't guarantee the accuracy or the sense of any given translation)
We can provide information in large print, Braille or in audio format if required: Getting information in an alternative format
Monitoring the accessibility of our website
We use the Siteimprove (siteimprove.com) service to regularly monitor the accessibility of our website and where issues arise, make changes wherever possible. We also regularly undertake usability testing of our website.
Whilst we try to meet accessibility guidelines, it is not always possible to do so in all areas of the website. The following areas may not be fully accessible:
- Online maps, for example my area: we publish textual equivalents of information relating to services and facilities
- Downloadable documents (Word, PDF and Excel): Currently not all of our downloadable documents on the website are fully accessible. While we publish key information contained in PDFs in a web page, please contact us if you require a downloadable document in an alternative format
- Social media: Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
Third party applications
We require that any new third party systems we commission for the website are Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 AA compliant. However, third party applications are partly or wholly out of our control and so may not conform to the same levels of accessibility as the rest of the website. Third party applications include:
- Idox planning and licensing online – view and comment on applications
- Capita online payments
- Capita Connect – Council tax, benefits and business rates accounts
- Orchard – My housing account
- iTrent – Apply for a council job
- Firmstep AchieveForms and My Account
We monitor the accessibility of these sites and ask suppliers to fix accessibility issues which arise.
- Make your computer speak text aloud (bbc.co.uk)
- Download NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) screen reader (nvaccess.org): this is a free and open source screen reader for the Microsoft Windows operating system
- Adobe accessibility (adobe.com): useful resources for improving the accessibility of Acrobat documents
If you are having difficulty accessing the information in a web page or in a Word, Excel or PDF document, please contact us.
Signed off by:
Bill Cullen, Chief Executive, Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council
Last updated: 02/10/2018 17:15