Council tax exemptions for landlords
As a landlord you must:
- Tell the Council Tax Team when your tenants move in and out
- Tell the Council Tax Team if there is a change in who is occupying your property
- If your tenants have individual tenancy agreements and do not have full use of the property, the council tax bill will always be in your name
- If the tenants have full use of the property then they will be responsible for the council tax charge
- They must tell the Council Tax Team when they move in and out
- They must tell the Council Tax Team if there is a change in who is occupying the property
Furnished lets don't receive a discount.
You have a one-month council tax exemption. This starts from the date your tenants leave the property, whether their tenancy has expired or not.
You may only be entitled to a proportion of the exemption as it is property related.
After one month, you will have to pay the full rate.
If you have any queries regarding any of this, please call us on 01455 238141.
You may also be interested in:
Last updated: 15/02/2023 15:06