Information for first time landlords

Before you start:

Check with your mortgage lender 

You could be in breach of your mortgage agreement conditions if you rent out your home without consent.

Do you need a property licence? 

If the property you are planning to rent has three or more storeys and will house five or more occupants, you must obtain a homes in multiple occupancy (HMO) licence from the council. Operating an HMO of this type without a licence is an offence; you could be taken to court and if convicted face a fine of up to £20,000. If you are unsure as to whether your property requires an HMO Licence, contact the Private Sector Housing team for advice on 01455 255734. For further information click on Homes in multiple occupancy (HMO)

In the Borough of Hinckley & Bosworth, you don't need a licence to rent out other kinds of residential property. 

Order an energy performance certificate (EPC) 

Before you market your property for rent, you should obtain an EPC. An EPC contains information about the properties energy usage, costs and efficiency. It also offers advice on improvements to save money on fuel bills and save energy. An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

Reduce the risk of fire

You must ensure that there is a clear escape route from the property. A fire alarm system should be installed and tested prior to the property being let. For fire safety information and advice, please contact the Private Sector Housing Team or visit fire safety ( 

Hazards to your tenants health and safety

Prior to renting out your property, you should carry out a thorough inspection to check it is structurally sound and free from potential hazards. The heating, lighting, plumbing and appliances should all be in good working order and fully serviced or checked by approved contractors. Any safety hazards should be dealt with immediately and before any tenant moves in. For further information visit: housing health and safety rating guidance for landlord (GOV.UK)

Ask potential tenants for a reference 

This will help you to decide on a suitable tenant

Last updated: ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎40‎:‎23