Renting out a room in your home to lodgers

Understanding the basics

If you decide to rent out a spare room in your home, there are a few things you need to do:

  • Inform your buildings and contents insurance provider
  • If you have a mortgage: get permission from your provider
  • Check your new lodger/tenant has a right to stay in the UK and the right to rent (GOV.UK)

Further information on right to rent checks

Being a resident landlord

When you become a resident landlord (let out part of your only or main home) you are responsible for:

  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Getting a valid gas safety certificate each year
  • Agreeing the rent and any other conditions for living in your home before your lodger moves in

You may qualify for income tax relief on the rental income you receive from your lodger. You can find further information on being a landlord and renting out a room in your home (GOV.UK)

Lodgers residing with you in your home and sharing your living space are classed as excluded tenants and have limited rights but are entitled to reasonable notice should you decide you would like them to move out.

Last updated: ‎13/11/2023 10:19