Gas and electrical safety in private housing

What gas and electricity safety certificates required?

Gas safety

All gas appliances and pipework in rented properties must be tested annually by a gas safe engineer. It is important to carry out these checks and obtain a gas safety certificate.

The record should be kept for at least two years.

The tenant must be provided with a copy of the gas safety certificate.

In owner-occupied accommodation, an annual service of all gas appliances and pipework is recommended.

Find a gas safe engineer (

Electrical safety

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 was introduced on 1 June 2020. As a result of this introduction, since 1 April 2021, landlords are required to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every five years. Landlords must provide a copy of the electrical safety report (currently known as an EICR – Electrical Installation Condition Report) to their tenants and if requested, to the local authority. This is to ensure that all wiring and lighting circuitry in private rented properties meets the safety standards of the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations.

Since 1 April 2021, these rules apply to all tenancies.

If you have a lodger or are letting out the property on a long lease (seven years or more) you are not required to have an EICR performed but other legislation applies meaning landlords do still need to ensure their properties are safe.

Find a registered electrician (

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 also places a duty on landlords to supply evidence of remedial action and the original report to your local housing authority within 28 days of completion of the remedial work or further investigation. Therefore, you must send your unsatisfactory EICR’s to us followed (at the latest within 28 days of the EICR) by a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC). An MEIWC is a professional document provided by a suitably competent and qualified electrician and evidences what remedial works/further investigations have been carried out. For properties within our borough please send these documents to us by completing our private sector housing contact form

Further information:

Last updated: ‎25/07/2022 11:12