Repairs and maintenance

How to report a repair

As a tenant, you have a right to live in a safe property that is in a good state of repair.

Your landlord will be responsible for most major repairs. However, you should always check your tenancy agreement for your responsibilities and obligations.

For more information and advice on dealing with repairs issues and unsatisfactory conditions in privately rented properties, you can visit: repairs and home safety ( or follow the information below.

Reporting a repair

As a tenant you are responsible for reporting any disrepair matters to your landlord or letting agent as soon as possible.

You should notify them in writing and keep a copy of the email or letter for your records. When reporting disrepair by letter, you should send the letter to the landlord by recorded delivery or hand-deliver it to your letting agent and make a note of when you did this. This will help later if there are any disagreements over when the repairs were reported. The council has produced a template letter for reporting repairs, reporting repairs - sample letter can be downloaded to help you get started.

Record repair details as follows:

  • Take photographs of the things that need repairing and any damage caused by the disrepair
  • Keep copies of any doctor's notes or hospital reports which show that your health has been affected by the problem
  • Don’t start doing any repairs yourself, you could cause further damage which your landlord may charge you for later

When you have reported the repair, your landlord should respond in writing notifying you who is responsible for the work and what will be done to fix it. They should also tell you how long the repair work will take.

If your landlord refuses to carry out or organise repairs, or you are concerned about a hazard in your home, you can contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01455 238141 for further advice or to arrange an inspection*. 

If you get into a dispute with your landlord over repairs or maintenance, do not stop paying your rent. Not paying your rent may lead your landlord to serve a notice which could result in you losing your home and prevent you from being accepted for alternative accommodation. Your landlord may also take civil action against you to recover the money that is owed.

Last updated: ‎08/01/2024 10:49