Gambling Act 2005 - premises licence


 Licensing authorities issue the following premises licences:

  • Casino premises licence
  • Bingo premises licence
  • Adult gaming centre premises licence (enabling Category B (£500) and C (£70) gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises)
  • Family entertainment centre premises licence (enabling Category C (£70) and D gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises)
  • Betting premises licence (enabling the provision of facilities for betting, by making or accepting bets or by acting as a betting intermediary)

An application for a premises licence may only be made by persons (this includes companies or partnerships) who:

  • Are over the age of 18
  • Have an operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission which allows a person to carry out the proposed activity
  • Have applied for an operating licence (the premises licence may only be issued once the operating licence has been issued) from the Gambling Commission

A premises licence does not authorise the use of premises for more than one type of activity, except in the case of a track. A licence may not be issued in respect of premises if those premises already have a premises licence in effect.

Vary or transfer a licence

Contact Licensing for an application form.

Last updated:‎ ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2024‎ ‎14‎:‎54‎