The facility to manage business rates will be unavailable 20 to 26 February. The facility to manage council tax and benefits will be unavailable 22 to 26 February. Sorry for any inconvenience.
About the process
Empty council properties are called ‘voids’. An average of four properties a week become empty and are handed to the Repairs Team to inspect for any maintenance works required before they are re-let. The Repairs Team will visit each property and arrange for any repair works needed to bring them up to a 'minimum lettable standard' to be carried out by the In-House Team or one of our other contractors. The time taken to get a property back to minimum lettable standard can vary. To date in 2023/24, the average time taken to complete works is 39 days.
The following is a list of standards which we work to:
- The property will be re-let in a good and clean condition
- The property will be secure
- The property will be free from rubbish, inside and out
- Gas and electrical systems will be inspected and work undertaken to ensure that they are in a safe working condition and meet the decent homes standard
- The property will meet the minimum requirements of the decent homes standard with regard to the condition of the kitchen, bathroom, roof covering, windows and doors
- The property will be free from infestation and adequately ventilated
The council will only carry out decorating to properties in sheltered housing schemes. However, for all our other properties, a Crown paints decoration kit may be awarded to help tenants to decorate their new home.
Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council continue to review the way we manage our void properties to ensure the most cost effective and efficient processes are utilised to minimise the time taken to complete works.
If you have any specific queries, please complete our housing repairs contact form
Last updated: 06/11/2023 16:12