Flood recovery support for households and businesses


For flooded households meeting the criteria, a Community Recovery grant of £500 is available to help with immediate recovery costs.   
If your living accommodation has been flooded, or your home has been left uninhabitable for at least 48 hours because of flooding from Storm Henk, you could be eligible for a Community Recovery grant and/or 100% discount on council tax for a minimum of three months. 

Community Recovery Grant:

  • The grant is £500 and paid directly to the household
  • Households are eligible where the living accommodation has been flooded or the home has been left uninhabitable for at least 48 hours due to flooding, such as when utilities have been cut off
  • The grant does not apply to empty homes, student accommodation or second homes
  • If you are the bill payer for council tax purposes on a house in multiple occupation (HMO), flat, you are eligible to claim the Community Recovery Grant

Council tax discount scheme

If flood water entered the habitable areas of your home or flood water did not enter into the habitable areas, but the residence was otherwise considered unliveable as a result of the recent floods for at least 48 hours, you will receive a 100% discount on your council tax for a minimum of three months – this means you do not have to pay council tax during this period.

After three months, if you moved out and have not been able to return home, you may not have to pay council tax until you move back. If you are not able to move back into your home after three months, please tell us so that this discount may be extended. You may also be able to claim a discount on any council tax that you are paying on a second or rented property that you are living in temporarily as a result of not being able to live in your main home.

Instances where households might be considered unliveable could include:

  • Access to the property is severely restricted
  • Services such as sewerage, waste and power supplies are severely affected
  • The adverse weather has resulted in other significant damage to the property, such that it would be, or would have been, advisable for residents to vacate, regardless of whether they do vacate or not
  • Flooded gardens and garages will not usually render a household eligible but there may be exceptions where it could be demonstrated that such instances mean effectively that the property is unliveable

Second homes, and empty homes are not eligible.  

What we need from you

We will ask you to provide details about you, your affected property, evidence of the flooding which could include photographs, bank account details and your council tax reference number, so that we can consider your claim and make payment to you if you are eligible. 

Apply for Community Recovery Grant and council tax discount

If you are unable to complete the form online, please call Customer Services on 01455 238141.

Deadline for applications is 21 March 2024.

Last updated: 26/01/2024 16:07