Complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence

New rules on tax checks from 4 April 2022

What's changing

From 4 April 2022, there will be a small addition to the checks licensing bodies already have in place and you'll need to complete a tax check with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to get or renew a licence to:

  • Drive taxis or private hire vehicles
  • Operate private hire vehicle businesses (Private Hire Operator)
  • Deal in scrap metal.

The changes will only apply in England and Wales.

How the changes may affect you

What you need to do will depend on whether you’re applying for a licence for the first time or whether you’re making a subsequent application, such as renewing a licence:

  • Getting a new licence - If you are applying for a licence for the first time, you will not need to complete the tax check. However, licensing bodies will ask you to read HMRC guidance on what you need to do to be properly registered for tax in the future and you’ll need to confirm you have done this
  • Renewing a licence - From 4 April 2022, if you renew or apply for a subsequent licence under a different licensing body, you’ll have to do a tax check. You’ll be able to do this online through a digital service.

 About the tax check

You will be able to complete this tax check on GOV.UK, through your Government Gateway account from 7 March 2022. If you do not already have a Government Gateway account, you will need to create one: complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence (GOV.UK)

The tax check should only take a few minutes. You will only need to answer a few questions to tell HMRC how you pay any tax that may be due on income you earn from your licensed trade. There will be guidance on GOV.UK, and you can get help from HMRC if you need extra support, for example if you need information in a different format or need help filling in forms.

More information: Get help from HMRC if you need extra support (GOV.UK)

When you’ve completed the tax check, you’ll get a code. You must give this code to your licensing body. The licensing body cannot proceed with your licence application or renewal until the tax check is completed and they’ve received the code. Your licensing body will only receive confirmation from HMRC that you’ve completed the tax check, they will not have access to information about your tax affairs.

What you need to do

If you have not registered to pay tax on earnings from your licensed trade, please go to GOV.UK to check if you need to register as soon as possible:

If you should have been registered to pay tax and have not been, HMRC will work with you promptly and professionally to get you back on the right track. It’s your responsibility to get your tax right, but HMRC are there to help.

More information: Changes for taxi private hire or scrap metal licence applications from April 2022 (GOV.UK)

Last updated:12/01/2022 15:48