Paint, light bulbs and tyres

Where to dispose of these items

Please be aware that some items may need a permit and/or charges may apply.  Further information: waste permits (


You can take your tins of paint to Whetstone recycling and household waste site (

From there, it will be taken for sorting and storage, before being redistributed to a community group that can put it to good use. Further details on the Community Paint Reuse Scheme ( Legislation prevents liquid paint being disposed of in landfill sites.

Completely empty tins of paint can be put into your refuse bin or disposed of as waste at the recycling and household waste sites.

Light bulbs

Light bulbs, traditional light bulbs, long life light bulbs and also fluorescent tubes, can be taken to all of the recycling and household waste sites.


Tyres cannot go into landfill and therefore will no longer be accepted at the recycling and household waste sites. If you change tyres yourself then you will need to arrange your own disposal through an approved company. Often local companies will accept one or two tyres for a minimal charge. It will be worth phoning around to find the best price.

Please note

These items must not be put into your household wheeled bins.

Last updated: 04/04/2024 10:37