How to reduce and prevent unwanted mail
Are you fed up with receiving vast amounts of junk mail and telephone calls from companies informing you that you need double glazing, or you've won major prizes?
In Leicestershire, residents receive over 1,700 tonnes of junk mail every year which uses approximately:
- 28,900 trees
- 11,900,000 gallons of water
- 663,000 gallons of oil
Would you like to put a stop to this?
Then sign up to the Mail Preference Service (MPS). This non-profit organisation asks you to register your details and then tells these companies to cross you off their mailing lists. MPS supports your right to choose what mail you receive. By signing up, MPS can remove your details from up to 95% of direct mailing lists.
More about MPS:
- MPS is a free service
- It can take up to four months before you start to see a significant difference in the amount of direct mail you receive
- Registration with MPS lasts for five years
- MPS cannot stop unaddressed mail, mail from overseas or mail addressed to 'The Occupier'
MPS can also offer a variety of other services including:
- Baby MPS - this service can be used to stop mailings from baby related companies
- FPS - fax preference service can protect you from unwanted sales material by fax
- TPS - telephone preference service can stop unwanted sales and marketing calls on your home and mobile numbers
Visit the website or more information on MPS services. You can register online or via the telephone on 0845 7034599.
There are other 'opt out' services including:
- Direct Marketing Association - 'Your Choice Scheme' : this helps reduce unaddressed junk mail delivered by members of DMA. Visit their website or further details on DMA's services
- Royal Mail Opt Out Scheme: This stops unaddressed mail delivered by Royal Mail. Visit their website for further details about the Royal mail opt out scheme
Last updated: 10/04/2017 11:07