Sunday 21 July

Due to maintenance, the facility to pay online and our online application forms where we take a payment will be unavailable for two hours from 4:30am to 6:30am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Householders - waste responsibilities

Disposing of your waste legally

All residents need to be aware that under legislation that came into force in 2005, they have a 'Duty of Care'. This is probably a phrase that residents are not familiar with - put simply, residents need to ensure that any rubbish not collected from them as part of a council service, must be collected by a business licensed to carry waste. Anyone who takes waste away from your home (or a business) has to be a registered waste carrier.

If you are employing a tradesman to work on your home, then it is your responsibility to make sure that they (or the skip company) are registered waste carriers. You should ask to see their Environment Agency licence.

Those trades and services that may need to be registered as waste carriers include builders, carpet fitters, kitchen fitters, gardeners, electricians, plumbers and even tree surgeons. If you have any doubt then call the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 or use their waste carriers public register for an instant waste carrier check.

You can search for a waste contractor online using the words 'waste management services' or contact the council for a quotation.

Remember: if your rubbish is found fly-tipped and traced back to you, you will be held responsible.

Last updated: 12/12/2023 09:34