Unsuitable items for the blue-lidded bin
We cannot empty the blue-lidded bin if it contains items which we do not recycle.
Examples of unsuitable items are:
- Mirrors *
- Window panes *
- Light bulbs – including long-life and fluorescent *
- Pyrex *
- Black plastic - put in your black bin
- Hard/rigid plastics – such as toys and coat hangers *
- Plant pots and trays *
- Electrical items *
- Business waste - visit recycling collections for business
- Garden items:
- Garden waste - put in your brown bin
- Wood *
- String, rope, hose pipe *
- Household items:
- Household waste - put in your black bin
- Photos - put in your black bin
- Videos, DVDs, CDs, cassettes - put in your black bin
- Textiles and shoes – put in a red bag
- Wrapping paper/tissue paper - put in your black bin
- Polystyrene - put in your black bin
- Other items:
- Paint tins *
- Knives *
- Needles – put in your sharps box
- Shot gun cartridges *
- Metals other than aluminium and steel tins/cans - put in your black bin
* Visit how to dispose of items (leicestershire.gov.uk) to find out how to get rid of these items.
The above are examples; it is not an exhaustive list.
Remember, extra paper and cardboard can be left next to the wheeled bin.
Some unsuitable items for your blue-lidded bin may be placed in your black bin, brown bin, red bag or sharps box.
More information on how to dispose of items (leicestershire.gov.uk) we don't collect.
Information regarding the location of banks for disposal of small electrical appliances
Last updated: 14/08/2023 17:47