Moving house checklist

Frequently answered questions

Do I pay for council tax?

Yes, if you are over 18 years of age and own or rent a home. You will get 25% reduction on your council tax bill if only one adult over the age of 18 lives in the property. You can also apply for council tax support if you’re on a low income. Find out more about council tax

Who supplies my electricity?

If you don’t know who supplies your electricity, call Western Power Distribution on 0800 6783105, or use the Who is my supplier? ( tool to find out your supplier. If you have a prepayment meter and there is already a payment card, this may indicate who supplies your electricity.

Who supplies my gas?

If you don’t know who supplies your gas, call the Meter Number Helpline on 0870 608 1524 to find out your gas supplier If you have a prepayment meter and there is already a payment card, this may indicate who suppliers your gas.

How do I set up my electric and gas?

Once you have found out who supplies your electric and gas, give them a call to let them know you have moved into your new home. They will take some details from you to set up your account with them. They may ask you to take meter readings so when you move into your property, make a note of the meter readings and the date you took them.

Do I pay for water?

Even though water comes out of your taps automatically, you still need to pay for it. This is because water is collected, filtered, purified and then piped to our homes. To arrange your water payment, call Severn Trent Water on 0345 7500500 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to 1pm) or register online ( You can pay using a water card at the post office/paypoint, by direct debit or in one go.

Do I need a TV licence? 

If you watch live TV, yes you will need a TV licence. A TV licence currently costs £154.50 for a colour TV or £52 for a black and white TV, for 12 months (this may change every year). You can pay in one go or split the payments into manageable chunks via direct debit or a payment card. You can apply for a TV licence by calling TV Licensing on 0300 7906130 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6.30pm and Saturday 8.30am to 1pm).

How do I register on the electoral role?

You can register to be on electoral role: register to vote 

Last updated: 24/08/2023 13:59