Organising your event: where to get more information

Topics with advice

Health and safety advice

The Health and Safety Executive give advice on various areas of running events safely( 

These include:

  • Event safety
  • Crowd control
  • Temporary demountable structures (stands, seating and marquees)
  • Fairground rides, stalls and bouncy castles
  • Firework displays
  • Livestock
  • Noise control

Food and catering

You can check the food hygiene rating of any mobile caterers you are thinking of using at the Food Standards Agency (

Air displays

If you are planning an air display or helicopter rides at your event, the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has reviewed the arrangements for public flying displays in the UK (

Live music

You may need a licence if you are having live music. A single licence, called the Music Licence is available to play or perform music in public from PPL PRS Ltd (

Fire safety

If you have five or more employees for your event or have a licence in force, then a written fire risk assessment is legally required. To notify your event to Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service (

Water supplies

You can refer to the Code of Practice BS 8551:2015 - Provision and management of temporary water supplies and distribution networks for guidance. This is available from a wide variety of retailers online.

Waste disposal

Council litter bins are not to be used for waste arising from your event. If you would like a free quotation for providing street cleansing services for your event contact Environmental Health

Last updated: ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2023‎ ‎13‎:‎23‎