Providing boarding for dogs and cats

Fees and how to apply

Before applying

Please refer to the boarding licence guidance for dogs or cats on the Canine and Feline Sector Groups website: legislation and guidance (

It is recommended that before you submit your application that you get advice from one of our officers. Use our Environmental Health contact form or telephone 01455 238141.

Please note that any licence issued will run until the end of the period for which it is granted. This can be for one, two or three years. After this date, the licence will need to be renewed. We will send you an application form which you must return to us and the application fee which can be paid by cheque, debit or credit card.


Application fees for animal boarding licences are £153.22

Vets' fees may be charged where applicable, as a vet may be required to inspect the premises before a licence is issued.

Multiple activities

For those applicants who are making an application for more than one licensable activity, the highest application fee will be payable, plus £50.86 for each additional activity.

How to apply

You can apply for a licence online:

Arrange boarding for cats or dogs

Alternatively you can request an application form from us: Environmental Health contact form

Time period for council to normally approve the application

10 weeks

What happens if your application is not processed by this council within the normal approved time period (Tacit consent)

It is in the interest of animal welfare that this council must process the application. It may be required to consult other external agencies prior to making a decision. Therefore, should you not receive confirmation that your licence application has been granted or rejected within 10 weeks of submission you may not commence your business.

If you have not heard from us in that time period

Please use our Environmental Health contact form

Complaints concerning the process

In the first instance, please use our Environmental Health contact form. Any person who is refused a licence or objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.

Any change in circumstances

You should advise the council of any substantial changes to the activity undertaken if they may affect your licence conditions. Please use our Environmental Health contact form to tell us about a change in circumstances.

You might also be interested in:

Last updated:‎ ‎29/‎03‎/‎2024‎ ‎10‎:‎40‎