How to get approval for a food premises

Approved food premises summary

All food premises operating in Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council area must be registered: food registration summary

Certain food businesses, however, also need to have their business approved. Food businesses that need to be approved are those that manufacture food containing meat or meat products, dairy products, fish or shellfish, egg products, and packers, such as:

  • Minced meat
  • Meat preparation
  • Mechanically separated meat
  • Meat products
  • Live bi-valve molluscs
  • Fishing products
  • Raw milk (other than raw cows milk)
  • Dairy products
  • Eggs (not primary production)
  • Egg products
  • Frogs legs and snails
  • Melted down animal fats
  • Treated stomachs, bladders and intestines
  • Gelatine and collagen
  • Certain cold stores
  • Certain wholesale markets

There are some exemptions to these requirements. If you have any premises which may potentially require approval, it is advised that you contact an Environmental Health (Commercial) officer at an early stage, to discuss requirements for the approval process.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the Food Standards Agency (who are responsible for meat inspection duties), rather than registered. More information on meat establishment guidance (

If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered: contact Environmental Health 

Last updated:‎ 28/11/2023 17:35