How to apply for a food premises registration

About registration of a food business

What is registration?

It is required by law to register a food establishment (Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs, Article 6(2)). This includes market stalls, delivery vehicles and other mobile catering vehicles which sell food. 

There is a penalty fine of up to £5000 for not registering your food business.

If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us in which district or borough (for example, Hinckley & Bosworth, Blaby) the vehicles are normally kept overnight. 

You need to register with us so that we have up-to-date information on your food premises so that our Environmental Health (Commercial) officers can visit and carry out inspections. Please note that there is no charge to register your business.

Food registration is not a form of licensing and does not give approval to trade.

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business, you must register the business with us. A food business can:

  • Be for profit or not for profit
  • Be large or small (for example a home caterer)
  • Be related to any stage of production, processing and distribution of food

When you need to register

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before opening. Once you have registered, you only need to tell us of a change of ownership if the nature of your business changes or there is a change of address at which any moveable premises (such as mobile catering vans) are kept. Any new owner will have to complete a new application form.

Who is exempt?

Generally, the only food premises that are exempt from registration are:

  • Those used for domestic preparation of food for consumption in the home
  • Certain agricultural premises

Use our contact form if you think you may be exempt.

The register

We are required by law to maintain a register of food establishments, so when you register your business with us, the name of the business, the address and the type of business will be entered on this. The register is available for inspection at the Hinckley Hub on request. No other information you provide when you register will be made publicly available.

A copy of your completed registration form will be sent to any other enforcement agency who may have a food enforcement role in connection with your business. For example, Trading Standards at Leicestershire County Council or another environmental health service.

Last updated: ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018‎ ‎09‎:‎46‎