When registering a society, the relevant local authority is the council for the area in which the principal premises of the society is situated. The promoting society must, throughout the period of the lottery promotion, be registered with us.
Under paragraph 47 of Schedule 11 of the Gambling Act 2005, we must refuse an application if in the previous five years the applicant has had a gambling operating licence application refused.
We must also refuse an application if, following a review, the applicant has had an existing licence revoked by the Gambling Commission because it thought that:
- The licensed activity was being carried out in a manner inconsistent with the licensing objectives
- A condition of the licence was breached
- The licensee failed to co-operate with a review
- The licensee was unsuitable to carry out the licensed activity
A gambling operating licence may also be revoked for other reasons but only these reasons constitute a basis on which registration of small society lotteries must be refused.
Under paragraph 48 of Schedule 11, we may also refuse an application if:
- The applicant is not a non-commercial society
- A person who will or may be connected with the promotion of the lottery has been convicted of a relevant offence (as defined under section 126 and schedule 7 of the Act)
- Information provided in or with the application for registration is false or misleading
Lottery return statement
The promoting society must send a statement containing information regarding each lottery to us. This statement must be supplied within the period of three months beginning with the day on which the draw, or last draw, in the lottery takes place.
Two approved members of the society must sign the statement. Alternatively, if the society has its own governing body, they must also sign the statement.
It is an offence not to submit a statement for each lottery held. Written records of any unsold or returned tickets should be retained by the society for a period of one year from the date of the lottery draw.
Last updated: 27/05/2020 12:05