The facility to manage business rates will be unavailable 20 to 26 February. The facility to manage council tax and benefits will be unavailable 22 to 26 February. Sorry for any inconvenience.
The Hinckley Hollycroft Conservation Area was designated by the council in January 1998.
The key feature of this conservation area which defines its character is Hollycroft Park.
In 1930, the council purchased a field of about 12 acres at the top of Hollycroft Hill for the sum of £2,700. A road was constructed along the southern edge of the land, now known as Shakespeare Drive, to connect with Canning Street.
The remaining 10 acres of the land was laid out as a public open space, named Hollycroft Park, with facilities for bowls, tennis and miniature golf. A bandstand with a large amphitheatre was also constructed and, during the 1930s, visiting bands included the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band.
The park was opened by Mr and Mrs Shirley Atkins in May 1935 as part of the Silver Jubilee of the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary.
Buildings within the conservation area include:
- The former Hinckley Police Station
- The Magistrates' Court
- The former cinema
- The former Leicestershire Social Services offices
- The former Hollybush public house
Last updated: 20/02/2024 11:00:28