The facility to manage business rates will be unavailable 20 to 26 February. The facility to manage council tax and benefits will be unavailable 22 to 26 February. Sorry for any inconvenience.
The Ratby Conservation Area, which is around the intersection of the roads from Markfield, Groby, Desford and Kirby Muxloe, was designated by the council in February 1987.
Until 1866, most of the village reflected its agricultural origins with most buildings, mainly farms, located around the church and on Berrys Lane, Main Street, Chapel Lane, Church Lane. There were also a few houses near the railway station.
Over the next 30 years the village expanded along both Stamford Street and Park Road, near the railway station.
From 1916 to 1930, the land along Station Road was developed with housing and the village had its own cinema.
The post-war era saw more hosiery development in the 1960s when construction began on Church Farm Estate on the edge of the conservation area.
Over the years the village farms have been developed and only the farmhouses and an occasional out-building remain.
Last updated: 16/01/2024 09:04