Shackerstone conservation area

Overview

Cottages Shackerstone

The Shackerstone conservation area was designated by the council in September 1992.

At the time of the enclosure in 1769, the village was a successful self supporting community. It had four farms, two inns, two shops, a bakery, a blacksmith, a builder, a carpenter, a post office, a coal merchant, a shoemaker and a dressmaker.

Shackerstone was part of the Gopsall Estate and in 1844 Earl House funded the construction of the school, schoolhouse and several estate workers' cottages.

The nearby Ashby Canal and railways ensured the village's continuing popularity and prosperity. The railways only ceased operating in 1970.

Today, the village's rural setting, well maintained vernacular buildings and public realm has maintained its reputation as one of the prettiest villages in Leicestershire.

Last updated: ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2022‎ ‎14‎:‎07