Shenton Conservation Area

Overview

Bridge over River Tweed

The Shenton Conservation Area was designated by the council in October 1992.

The village lies in rolling countryside at the confluence of the River Sence and its tributary, The Tweed, where a three arched bridge spanning the river was constructed in 1851 at the western end of the village.

The eastern edge is defined by the massive blue brick aquaduct which carries the Ashby Canal over Bosworth Road.

The character of the Shenton Conservation Area is derived from its agricultural origins of the settlement and its close links to the countryside.

Buildings in the village reflect these rural connections and consist of the landowner's hall, the church, village farms and several farmworkers' cottages.

Last updated: ‎27/05/2022 15:11