The Twycross Conservation Area was designated by the council in June 1993.
Twycross is a small village on the main road linking Nuneaton with Burton-on-Trent (A444). The village, over the years, has been closely linked to Gopsall Hall and was part of the Gopsall Estate.
Several houses and lanes are named after members of the Howe family, some of which are buried in the churchyard.
In 1920 the estate was sold to Lord Waring who, in 1927 sold the estate, except for the hall and its parklands, to The Crown Estates. Subsequently, The Crown sold most of the cottages in the village and, apart from the farms, are mostly in private ownership.
The two most important buildings in the village are the Church of St James, which is a stone structure dating from the 13th century, famous for its east windows which, it is thought, incorporates the oldest stained glass in England dating from approximately 1145. The glass came from Saint Chappelle and the Cathedral of St Denis in Paris and was brought to England after the French Resolution, and subsequently given to Earl Howe of Gospall by William IV.
Twycross House, originally a hunting base of Viscount Curzon, is now a private school.
Last updated: 28/03/2022, 14:31