Witherley Conservation Area

Overview

River Witherley

The Witherley Conservation Area, which was designated by the council in October 1993, reflects the historic core of the village. It extends mainly along the river and is of particular visual merit with many fine vernacular buildings which have, unfortunately, been compromised by modern uncharacteristic development.

The village of Witherley is located in the shallow valley of the River Anker, and the surrounding countryside is comparatively flat and generally under pasture. It is well provided with trees, particularly in the conservation area itself.

Most distant views of the village are screened by trees with only the church spire visible due to the flat terrain.

There has been a church in Witherley since at least 1173. For the last 500 years the lofty spire of the present 14th century building has been a landmark in the countryside. After being destroyed by lightning in 1924, it was shortened when rebuilt but is still nearly 49 meters (160 feet) high.

Last updated: ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2022‎ ‎10‎:‎39