Coronavirus pandemic

There have been changes to services due to the coronavirus pandemic. Please contact us if you require assistance. Get the latest service information, government news and business support and advice.

Coronavirus: information, advice and FAQs

Second adult rebate

Who can apply for second adult rebate?

Only pensioners can apply for second adult rebate. Working age customers can no longer claim this help from April 2013.

You may be entitled to second adult rebate if both of the following apply:

  • You have too much income yourself to qualify for council tax support and
  • You are liable for the council tax charge on your home, but you have other adults living in the property that are on a low income

Second adult rebate is calculated by looking at the gross income and savings of those other adults.

You may qualify for second adult rebate if both of the following apply:

  • You are a couple and one of you is exempt from council tax and
  • You have other adults in the property on a low income

For example Mr and Mrs Jones are a couple and of pension age. Their daughter lives with them. She is a hairdresser and is on a low wage. Mrs Jones has dementia and is exempt from council tax; therefore Mr Jones can make a claim for second adult rebate based on his daughter's low income.

To qualify for second adult rebate the adult(s) that share your home must be:

  • Aged 18 or over
  • Not paying you rent
  • Not paying council tax themselves
  • Not your spouse or partner
  • Receiving a low income

If the other adult is jointly liable for council tax with you, they will need to make their own claim for council tax support/second adult rebate.

If you claim for second adult rebate only, you do not have to tell us about your income and savings, just the income details of the second adult.

Last updated: ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2020‎ ‎12‎:‎57‎