Premises licence - full variations

Licence summary

If you want to make changes to your premises licence, then it's likely that you'll need to apply for a variation. Remember to check the plan attached to the licence as this defines the licensed area.

There are two types of variation application - a full variation or a minor variation. 

The type of application you need to apply for will depend on the change you want to make and if it is likely to impact on the licensing objectives. These are: 

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

If the changes could impact on the licensing objectives then you must apply for a full variation. For example, if you want to:

  • Extend the opening hours of the premises
  • Make changes to the premises or change the layout of the bar area
  • Add the sale of alcohol to your premises licence
  • Authorise the sale of alcohol between 11pm and 7am
  • Increase the number of hours that alcohol may be sold on any day

Please be aware that if you are planning on making significant changes to your premises, or if you are changing the nature of your business, you may need to apply for a new premises licence.

A full variation of an existing premises licence cannot be used to do the following:

  • Extend a time limited licence
  • Add an additional building or property
  • Transfer the licence from one premises to another
  • Vary significantly the physical premises to which it relates. For example, an extension to the building which will increase the licensable area by 25% or more. If you wish to make this type of change you should make a new premises licence application

Last updated: ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2023‎ ‎11‎:‎21‎