House in multiple occupation (HMO) - licence, fees and rules

What is an HMO and does it need a licence?

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a house or flat occupied by people who do not form a single household. Households include:

  • Single people
  • Couples, including same sex couples
  • Foster parents and carers

HMOs also typically share one or more of the following:

  • A kitchen
  • Bathroom
  • Toilet

HMOs are usually in the following types of accommodation:

  • Bedsit accommodation
  • Shared houses
  • Some bed and breakfast establishments
  • A guardian occupied property (where someone lives in an otherwise vacant property that they guard/look after)
  • Hostels
  • Guesthouses
  • Houses let to lodgers
  • Residential care homes

HMO licensing

Certain larger HMOs have to be licensed with the council but you don't need a licence to rent out all HMOs in the borough of Hinckley & Bosworth. (Please note, you don’t need a licence to rent out other residential properties in this borough.)

You require a licence for an HMO when all of the follow apply:

  • The building is three or more storeys high
  • There are five or more occupants living in the property
  • Two or more separate households live in the property

Unconverted cellars/basements are included as a storey if they house gas or electricity meters, and are available for storage. Attics and loft spaces will normally only be counted as a storey if they are accessed via a fixed staircase or used in connection with the HMO.

If you think your HMO requires a licence, go to apply for a HMO licence

Further information is available for landlords and tenants on the following websites:

Last updated: ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017‎ ‎11‎:‎56‎:‎45