Temporary event notice


You need to apply for a temporary event notice (TEN) if you wish to carry out licensable activities on a temporary basis. This could be an occasional or one-off event at unlicensed premises. It could also be a licensable activity which is not included in the terms of an existing premises licence: for example, a bar staying open later than usual.

Licensable activities are:

  • Sale of alcohol
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • Providing entertainment such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events (known as regulated entertainment)
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

Who can apply

An individual over 18 years old can apply for a TEN. You cannot apply on behalf of another individual. You do not have to be a personal licence holder (or premises licence holder).

Two types of TEN: a standard TEN and a late TEN

A standard TEN must be received at least 10 clear working days before your event.

Clear working days do not include:

  • The day that the application is received
  • The first day of the event
  • Saturday and Sunday
  • Any bank holidays - UK bank holidays (GOV.UK)

Any TEN we receive must be acknowledged within two working days after it is received.

A non-personal licence holder can have up to five TENs per calendar year (1 January to 31 December). A personal licence holder can have up to 50 TENs per calendar year.

Late TENs can be given up to five working days, but no earlier than nine working days before the event is due to take place and, unless given electronically to us, the licensing authority, must also be sent by the premises user to the police and Environmental Health at the council. A late TEN given less than five working days before the event to which it relates will be void and the activities to which it relates will not be authorised. No refund will be given.

The online TEN application will not allow you to make an application that is made less than five working days prior to the event.

Individuals without a personal licence can have up to two late TENs per calendar year. Personal licence holders can have 10. Late TENs count towards the total of permitted TENs.

Void TEN example

A TEN applied for on a Friday for an event the following Friday will be void as there will only be four clear working days. The event cannot go ahead and there will be no refund.


  • The maximum number of people who can attend the event (including staff and performers) is 500
  • The event can last no more than 168 hours (seven days)
  • If you, or one of their associates, is organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24-hour gap between them. An associate is someone who is in business with you or is your spouse or civil partner, child, parent, grandchild, grandparent, brother or sister, agent or employee of the person applying.  For example, if you apply for a TEN, your mother wouldn’t be able to apply for a TEN at the same premises for at least 24 hours after your event has finished
  • A single premises can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days


A TEN can’t be refused unless the Police or the council's Environmental Health Team objects to it. They must do this within three working days of it being received. They can only object if they think your event could adversely affect any of the licensing objectives which are:

  • Prevention crime and disorder
  • Prevention of public nuisance
  • Public safety
  • Protection of children from harm

If there is an objection and the matter cannot be resolved informally, the council’s Licensing Committee will hold a meeting (known as a hearing) no later than 24 hours before the event. Following the hearing, a decision will be made whether to allow the TEN to go ahead, to allow it subject to conditions, or to issue a counter notice preventing licensable activities from taking place.

If we receive an objection notice from the Police and/or Environmental Health to a late TEN, we'll send you a counter notice no later than 24 hours before the event. The event won't be allowed to go ahead.

Any unlicensed activity is a criminal offence under section 136 of the Licensing Act 2003, punishable upon conviction by an unlimited fine and or six months in prison.


A TEN may be withdrawn by the premises user by giving the licensing authority (in this case the council) a notice to that effect no later than 24 hours before the beginning of the event specified in the TEN.

Displaying the TEN

A copy of the TEN must be prominently displayed on the premises during the event.

Apply for a TEN:

TENs in the local area

View TENs in the borough of Hinckley & Bosworth

Make sure licensing is selected (under search). Choose the category 'temporary event notices'. You can also search on other criteria such as the address of the premises.

Last updated: 24/01/2024 09:07