Responsibility for repairs

Who is responsible for a housing repair?

Repairs in-House Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council

The terms of the agreement between you as the tenant and the council, are set out in the 'Conditions of Tenancy' booklet and in the Housing Committee Policy. As part of that agreement, the Housing Department will carry out most of the repairs to the main structure of your home, including the roof, walls, windows and doors, drains and pathways.

The council will also take responsibility for water pipes, tanks, gas pipes, electrical wiring, sockets and fittings (excluding tenants' own fittings), basins, sinks, baths, toilets, flushing systems and waste pipes, water heaters, boilers, fireplaces and council fitted showers.

However, there are certain items that you are responsible for. These include:

  • Fences and gates (other than those adjoining common areas, alleyways, public footpaths, recreation areas and car parks)
  • Cracked or broken glass
  • Fuses and electrical plugs
  • Plugs for sinks, wash hand basins and baths
  • Damaged or broken keys and locks
  • Shelves, shelving or shelf brackets
  • Internal decoration of the property
  • Gas or electric cookers and other domestic appliances

Other minor items the council is not responsible for:

  • Damage not due to normal wear and tear
  • The repair or replacement of anything that has been installed or fitted in the property by the current tenant without the written consent of the Head of the Department
  • The repair or replacement of anything installed or fitted by a previous tenant if you exchange into that property
  • Making good any internal decoration affected by improvement  repairs work on accident

Tenants may be able to claim for accidental damage through their own household insurance.

Last updated: 27/06/2012 10:50