Downtime this weekend

Due to maintenance, our online forms will be unavailable on Friday 23 October 10pm to midnight, and on Sunday 25 October 6pm to 10pm. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Guide to non-dependants (someone 18 or over living with you)

What is a non-dependant?

A non-dependant is a person aged 18 or over who lives in your home, or is using your home as their main residence. A non-dependant does not have to be a family member.

Will I need to provide proof of my non-dependant's income?

Yes, we will need to see proof of your non-dependant's income. You must provide us with all the information we need within one month of telling us about your non-dependant. We will then recalculate your benefit using the non-dependant's income.

The following list are common proofs of income for non-dependants:

  • Wage slips
  • A completed employer's certificate of earnings (available from the Council Offices)
  • Award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions
  • Student award letter
  • Accounts (if your non-dependant is self-employed)

Last updated: ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2020‎ ‎13‎:‎05‎